Ghosting. It's a divisive subject. Some people think it's the worst thing you can do to someone else – just fading away into the ether. Other people understand that, sometimes, ghosting is the only way. I think most of us have probably done this to someone – a date, a lover, a friend, an acquaintance. It happens. There are times when you just cannot handle the direct confrontation of telling someone you don't want them in your life any longer. Some people make it impossible to walk away. Hell, I ghosted on a former girlfriend who was a very toxic presence in my life – that happened almost ten years ago and she just Instastalked me. Ghosting happens, there are dozens of reasons why, but the whole process typically goes a little something like this …
Table of contents:
- you've found that you have absolutely nothing in common
- they start blowing up your phone before you've even met
- you've googled them and … nope!
- each time you make plans with this new person, you cancel
- you feel guilty about canceling on them
- so you make plans again …
- … however, you are socially anxious and end up canceling again
- you don't know why you are still talking to them
- you don't talk about anything important
- you end up as texting buddies for a little
- until you realize that you can't talk to them about anything deep
- because you hate confrontation …
- you've decided ghosting is better
- first, you stop responding to their texts
- … then their phone calls
- … then everything on social media, until they begin to pick up the hint
- then you still feel guilty … but secretly free!
1 You've Found That You Have Absolutely Nothing in Common
2 They Start Blowing up Your Phone before You've Even Met
3 You've Googled Them and … Nope!
4 Each Time You Make Plans with This New Person, You Cancel
5 You Feel Guilty about Canceling on Them
6 So You Make Plans Again …
7 … However, You Are Socially Anxious and End up Canceling Again
8 You Don't Know Why You Are Still Talking to Them
9 You Don't Talk about Anything Important
10 You End up as Texting Buddies for a Little
11 Until You Realize That You Can't Talk to Them about Anything Deep
12 Because You Hate Confrontation …
13 You've Decided Ghosting is Better
14 First, You Stop Responding to Their Texts
15 … then Their Phone Calls
16 … then Everything on Social Media, until They Begin to Pick up the Hint
17 Then You Still Feel Guilty … but Secretly Free!
Good or bad, agree or disagree, ghosting happens. Have you ever done it?
Please rate this article